At Freeman Medical Clinic, our passion extends beyond healing the sick. We want to partner with you to achieve your health and wellness goals. One component is helping you reach your optimal weight. The New Year is the perfect time to take action towards this goal, but in order to be successful you need the proper tools.
- Write your goals down. Putting a pen to paper sets your goals in motion. Journals, food diaries, and to-do lists can make weight loss easier. What if weight loss is much easier than what your brain thinks? Easier than it’s been in the past because we know so much more now than ever before in history!
- Why can’t I just do this on my own? Even weight loss coaches need their own weight loss coach. Just as Tiger Woods has a swing coach. High achieving CEOs have business coaches. When you try to DIY weight loss your brain will sweep in with all kinds of reasons why it won’t work. A good coach guides you through your thoughts and moves you on YOUR path to success.
- Remove temptations. Nope! You’ve probably heard you need to remove “bad” foods from your refrigerator and pantry. But foods are neutral. They are neither bad nor good. That’s right! Is your mind blowing up yet? Cake isn’t bad. Neither are pies, cookies, bread, sugar, sodas, processed foods and even sugar. Nor are they “good”! In our weight loss program you will learn how to live in the wild around all foods and feel confident in which you decide to put in your mouth and why.
- Meet mini-goals (sexy micro-wins). Micro-wins get us to the macro-wins! Your coach will help you schedule time to write down your micro-wins. This shows your brain that it can change. Then your brain (which wants to please you) will show you other ways it can change. Changes add up in time and they gain momentum. This is what personal finance guru Dave Ramsey calls the ‘snowball method’. After all, it’s easier to move little pebbles than an entire mountain.
- Bring a friend along for the ride. Tell your friends and family what you want to accomplish and tell them how they can help you. Telling someone else your goals holds you more accountable to reaching them. Who knows, maybe you’ll inspire a friend to make the journey with you.
- Document everything. Keep a detailed account of your weight loss, dietary intake and how you’re feeling. Data (like food) is neutral. We help you learn what foods serve you, amounts and the timing of eating. Intermittent fasting is great for some people, not for others. A prolonged fast can be awesome for some and not helpful at all for others.
What is NOT helpful. Measuring foods, weighing, counting (anything; macros, calories, etc.) We’ll explain why in the program. Losing weight is easier than you think and less time consuming.
- PLAN! You don't have to miss out on that fancy dinner or night out with friends. If you know you are going to a restaurant, peruse the menu ahead of time and decide what you are going to eat. If you want to have a cocktail, plan it! You will feel much more confident going into a food situation if you already have a plan.
- Photograph yourself. Pictures don’t lie, but sometimes scales do. The scale may show a 6 pound gain. This could be 6 pounds of lean muscle–a tissue that gets you looking toned AND speeds up your metabolism. We will take photos with your phone for you to follow in a photo album chronicling your weight loss journey..
- Set realistic goals. Hah! How many times have I heard this? Truth is that for some people goals are achieved “quickly” and others “more slowly”. There is no scientific evidence that slower weight loss is more likely to keep the weight off. What we DO know is that having a good coach increases your odds of achieving weight loss AND then keeping it off.
Who cares how long it takes? Because this is not a lose weight quick gimmick it will take the time it takes. It is permanent weight loss if you follow your coaches advice. Gone are the years of yo-yoing. Enjoy freedom around food while learning how to never gain the weight back.
Losing weight and keeping the weight off are different programs because the brain is in distinctly different modes. We can help you keep weight off that you’ve already lost just be sure to let us know this is your goal.
Maybe this is a marathon for you - maybe it will be a sprint. What I do know is that you will learn weight loss processes that will serve you throughout the rest of your life.
What other tools do we have for you?
- Losing weight is not just about calories. There are many other factors that play a role including hormones, genetics, and emotions. Let us guide you on this most fulfilling journey!
- Semaglutide is a peptide medication that significantly decreases appetites for food and alcohol. It is prescribed commonly for people with diabetes and insulin resistance. We offer the shots here and can review the dos and don’ts with you.
- Checking hormones and prescribing them if appropriate for YOU. If you are over 40 then your hormones are waning. This can work against weight loss.
- Low B12? Don’t waste your money on shots if you aren’t low! Yes, B12 is key to metabolism, clear thinking and energy. If low we recommend shots (we have the highest quality methylcobalamin - I don’t recommend the cheaper cyanocobalamin especially if you have methylating deficiency). Step 1 is to have your level checked. It’s the only way to know for sure.
- Free podcast Weight Loss for Busy Physicians. Super helpful for physicians and non physicians.
- Free film That Sugar Film. Sometimes on Prime, sometimes on Netflix, easy to find, @ 20 minutes long
- Book by Dr. Jason Fung The Obesity Code
What our patients are saying:
“I am so grateful to go out again. I had stopped going out with friends because I dreaded the Happy Hour, feeling like I had to drink or eat certain things. Celeste showed me it’s the camaraderie I craved and it mattered very little what I ate or drank.” N.H., 51 year old woman
“I giggled when I crossed my legs. I can’t remember the last time I did that! And this may be TMI but I can wipe myself again. It’s so embarrassing but such a big deal to me.” J.N., 43 years old
“I want you to know that I feel like I can tell you anything. You never make me feel ashamed. I trust you. I always feel better after our visits”. A.D., 46 years old
Schedule a consultation with Celeste or Dr. Freeman today!